Download Study Guide HERE
Only God is concerned with your well-being and bringing life where death once reigned and the evil one will always attempt to twist and subvert truth in whatever form it is revealed.
PUT OFF THE OLD – BECOME AWARE OF OUR OLD PATTERNS
Ephesians 4:22 NLT “Throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception.”
2 Corinthians 5:17 NLT “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
- Do you remember your demarcation line when you chose to follow Christ?
- If you were to have a before and after photo of your life, what would they look like?
- Knowing that our salvation is a gift from Christ not dependent upon our efforts, what do you feel “Throw off your old sinful nature” means?
PUT ON THE NEW – CHOOSING A NEW PATH
Romans 7:15 “I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.”
- Can you identify with Paul’s struggle? If so, what would that be?
- Would that struggle be tied to some old behaviors or patterns from your past?
- What are some ways you have been victorious in overcoming old past patterns?
- How did you accomplish this?
COMMIT TO THE NEW – THE PAIN OF DISCIPLINE
Philippians 4:8-9 NLT And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.
2 Timothy 1:7 NLT For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
- In your life, what would “fixing your thoughts” look like? How would you go about this?
- What are some things in your life and experience that are excellent and worthy of praise?
- Are there areas in your life where self-discipline feels more like a rule-keeping process?
- What are some areas where you would benefit from self-discipline and what would the benefits be?